Monday, September 29, 2008

About this Blog

Short Version

Jeremiah 20:9

But if I say, "I will not mention him
or speak any more in his name,"
his word is in my heart like a fire,
a fire shut up in my bones.
I am weary of holding it in;
indeed, I cannot.

Ahoy, me Hearties!

I once taught History and Art in a Lutheran school and for years struggled with whether or not to become a pastor. I served as a church youth group counselor for a while and continue to teach a high school Bible study group. Now I teach Art in a public school and needed an outlet for talking about faith, so I started this prayer blog.

But God forgive me, this blog has been contaminated because as Thomas Jefferson once said, "I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just." I feel like Christianity has been Shanghaied by people who say they love Jesus, but act more like disciples of Machiavelli.

So, like Luther posted his 95 Theses on the church door in order to incite critical thinking and provoke discussion and debate about the hypocrisies of the church in his time- I started posting things here that may challenge Christians to question their motivations and positions on things in our society and politics.


I don't mean to undermine anyone's faith or to promote heresy, but when I read Jesus' Words, especially in Matthew 5 and Luke 6, I see something radically different than what televangelists, radio prophets and Republican politicians espousing. Scurvy, bilge-sucking, sons of biscuit-eaters!

This all makes me feel like a mutant, a freak, and an outcast. Conservative Christians fear for my eternal salvation whereas secular liberals see me as part of the problem and not the solution. So in the so-called "culture wars" I'm caught in the cross-fire because I think that both sides are wrong and neither side wants to hear it. Sometimes it feels like I'm constantly getting Keelhauled.


Jesus is our prophet, our priest and our king- and calls us to be the same , representing God to the world, interceding for others to Him, and leading by example. But when you're a bit of a rouge, you've got little choice but to weigh anchor and hoist the mizzen without the benefit of letters of Marque as a corsair, don't ya?!

I try to be salt and light, but I understand that some of ye landlubbers may not have a taste for the brine- so click on the
View only High School Bible Study link and avoid all my caustic commentary on politics.

Me ka pule,
Ted

No comments:

Post a Comment