Thursday, May 07, 2009

Sanctification; Huck


Wikipedia says: In slang, "I'm your huckleberry" is a way of saying that one is just the right person for a given job which was used by the character Doc Holliday in the movie Tombstone.

I think that's a pretty cool metaphor for sanctification- being set aside for our created purpose. Come to think of it, I think that sanctification should've been on Paul's list of fruit of the Spirit. Love joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, self-control and letting God use you as He originally intended- against such there is no law. But far be it from me to try to add or detract from the Apostle's words.

Wikipedia also says this: The tiny size of the berries led to their frequent use as a way of referring to something small, often in an affectionate way. The phrase "a huckleberry over my persimmon" was used to mean "a bit beyond my abilities".

I'm a tiny berry, St. Paul is a big 'ol watermelon, maybe my pastor is a persimmon (bigger than huckleberries but smaller than a melon, about the size of a kumquat).

But isn't that just like all of us? We think we're way too small and inconsequential to do anything important for God, yet He choses the feeble and frail for His mightiest purposes.

John Piper's famous prayer sums it up: "Lord, let me make a difference for you that is utterly disproportionate to who I am!"

We are weak, but He is strong. It's never about what I can do, but always about what He can do through me.

Philippians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

Want to get sanctified? Just say to God, "I'm Your Huckleberry."




Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment