Friday, February 26, 2010

Ideas for Lent; Saint Francis' Prayer- for others

I lost a former colleague last year who, even though he taught at a Lutheran high school, had grown up Catholic. Whenever it was his turn to lead a prayer or give a devotion at faculty meetings he pulled out a beautiful prayer written by Saint Francis. I shouldn't say he "pulled it out," because he never had a printed copy, he had it committed to memory. I always admired that and have tired, but haven't succeeded yet, to memorize it myself.

I've posted this prayer on this blog before, but an idea occurred to me the other day that I'd like to share today. The idea is one I've had before- Click here to see the post I wrote about praying the Lord's Prayer for someone else. So here it is, think of someone you'd like to bless, someone who needs your prayers, and pray the prayer of St. Francis for them:

Lord, make ________________ an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred let he/she sow love
Where there is injury, pardon,
Where there is doubt, faith:
Where there is despair, hope:
Where there is darkness, light:
Where there is sadness, joy.

O Divine Master, grant that ________________ may so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love:

For it is in giving that we receive:
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned:
It is in dying that we are born to eternal life.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment