Sunday, October 14, 2007

Philippians 1:1-11

So here is a devotion/bible study based on Philippians 1:1-11

Like Paul, I thank my God every time I remember you. (friends, family and students) (Phil 1:3). That, by the way is both a good verse to include in cards and notes to people you appreciate AND a good reminder to take a minute to actually do it, to thank God for people you're glad He put in your life.

  • Who are some people you care about deeply?
  • Who are some role models, mentors, people who have helped you or taught you or set an example for you?
  • Who are some people who are important or valuable to our school, community, state, nation, world?

Say a prayer thanking God for these people.

Like Paul, In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy. (Phil 1:4) No matter who you are, I'm glad you're reading this. There are some of you whom I am glad to have had the chance to know and have be a part of my life.

Why did Paul have Joy? Why not anxiety, worry, anger or frustration or disapointment or any other number of emotions? because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, (Phil 1:5) They were on the same side, the same team, they shared goals, they were on the same mission. A real friend is not just a peer or an acquaintance, they support you and stand by you, they help you. They're partners. Believe it or not, God doesn't just want you to know Him, accept Him, believe Him, He wants you to work with Him, to do what He's doing, to do what He created you to do and be who He created you to be. Partner-up. God's on your side.

Paul blesses the members of the church in Philippi. A Biblical blessing includes a statement of value (he thanked God for them) and a vision for a bright future, like this one- being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. (Phil 1:6) What he was saying is kind of like, okay, we know Jesus saved you by dying on the cross, but He's not done- I believe He will keep using you for His purpose and while and maybe even through doing so, He will SANCTIFY you, that is to keep making you holy and making you more and more like Him. How awesome is that!

Think about a teacher telling you that they think you're becoming a great writer or artist, or that you'd make a great doctor/lawyer/teacher someday. Imagine a junior high or freshman/JV coach telling you that you're going to make a great starter or captain or college player someday. That's kind of what Paul is doing, he's really encouraging them. When I taught at a Christian school, Phil 1:6 was a popular verse to write in kids cards at confirmation and both junir high and high school graduations.

Why was Paul so positive? He wasn't just giving them a snow-job, or "blowing sunshine up their skirts," it wasn't an empty complement. He backed it up in verse 7- It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. They really were partners, working hard for the same goals that he was.

And before he REALLY gets this letter going, he tells them how much he feels about them in verse 8, God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus. Or in the "TPV" (Ted's Paraphrased Version) "God knows how much I miss you and love you."

Me too. I really care about my students and cheerleaders, and I really miss all of you former students and cheerleaders.

Then he prays for the Philippians. Usually on this blog I make prayers blue, as a hint that you can pray it too, but I'll leave it purple like the rest of the passage has been- but I want you all to know, that I'm praying this for you as I type the words that Paul prayed for the members of his old congregation; I pray that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God. (NIV)

Again, I pray for you that your love will flourish and that you will not only love much but well. Learn to love appropriately. You need to use your head and test your feelings so that your love is sincere and intelligent, not sentimental gush. Live a lover's life, circumspect and exemplary, a life Jesus will be proud of: bountiful in fruits from the soul, making Jesus Christ attractive to all, getting everyone involved in the glory and praise of God.(Message)
In Jesus' name, Amen (Hebrew for "let it be so")

Me ka pule,
Ted


No comments:

Post a Comment