Monday, October 15, 2007

Reformation Art


I really likes how the glaze turned out on the interior of this pot. It looks like a heart. I think what happened is that the bottle's directions recommended two different temperatures for firing it in the kiln, and I opted for the higher of the two, and unfortunately that lead to most of the glaze turning out black, except where it pooled. Fortunately, that looks really pretty, so what the heck!

It struck me that it looks a lot like Luther's coat of arms (see right), maybe that's because it's October, so Reformation is coming up. It also looks like a heart radiating fire, kind of fitting with this blog's theme. And it sort of reminds me of the "Sacred Heart" icon, or maybe like the House of Blues logo.

Explanation of Luther's Seal:

A Black cross remind me that faith in the Crucified saves us. He died so that I can live.

Red Heart that cross does not kill, but keeps alive. My heart belongs to Jesus.

White Rose to show that faith causes joy, consolation and peace.

Sky Blue, as Luther said, "such joy of faith in the spirit is but an earnest yearning and beginning of heavenly joy to come, as anticipated and held by hope"

Gold Ring to signify that such bliss in heaven is endless, and more precious than all temporal joys and material treasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment