Friday, March 09, 2007

The Book of Lutheran

My friend Tom sent me the following email in response to my Lutheran Coffee cartoon (scroll down a few posts)-

I always joke with the confirmands about the benefits of reading the Book of Concord. Sometimes we get to talking about church traditions. They ask "why do we do this or that" and I say "'cause it's in the Book of Concord, Silly." Then I start to do my best Dennis Hopper impression. "It's all there, man. Even the rules about pot-lucks."

Book of Concord:

200.The Pot Luck and it's importance of nourishing the saints. What does this mean? It means than when any significant group of Lutherans gather togther, there, in their midst, shalt be coffee and donuts served for breakfast items. Thou shalt also makest an effort to supply at least 1 bucket of KFC upon the table. This is most certainly true.

201. On the Primacy of Jello presentation. What does THIS mean? We should fear and love God enough so that at least SOMEONE must present orange Jello with carrot shavings in it or a layered jello of multi colors (preferably colors representing the colors of the church year) This is most certainly true!

It usually gets a laugh or two while some actually believe me. Ahhh, the joy of middle school.

Later,

Tom


Tom teaches at a Lutheran Junior High School, and his Dennis Hopper is spot on.

2 comments:

  1. How about actually telling the kids why the real Book of Concord is actually extremely helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do, please don't imagine that I don't, and I guarantee that my friend Tom does. I suppose I ought to do that on this blog one of these days too, you're right- but please, if we can't make fun of ourselves, we really run a huge risk or falling into the trap of arrogance. The Book of Concord is a phenomenal tool for elaborate on and explain Scripture. If it has a downside, it's that it was written by theologians and lawyers 500 years ago in German, so it's not the easiest thing in the world for American teens and pre-teens to understand and use. Maybe someone will make a graphic novel version of it someday. The other risk that we confessional Lutherans sometimes fall into is elevating it to the same level as the Divinely inspired, inerrant Word of God, the Bible. That's kind of what I was hinting at by referring to it as "the Book of Lutheran," sort of like the Book of Mormon. It is insanely important and amazingly useful, but it's not Scripture. I point kids first to the Bible, then to the Constitution and Bill of Rights and then to the Book of Concord, in that order. Sorry if any of you think that's sacreligious.

    ReplyDelete