Monday, March 19, 2007

Habakkuk's Prayer

Last Sunday when I was studying Ephesians 6 for the Armor of God and some footnote somewhere led me to the book of Habakkuk, a minor prophet. Somewhere in there there's a reference to putting on righteousness, like the breastplate of righteousness. At any rate, while I was in there I found this beautiful prayer of praise.

Habakkuk 3

Habakkuk's Prayer
1 A prayer of Habakkuk the prophet. On shigionoth . [a]

2 LORD, I have heard of your fame;
I stand in awe of your deeds, O LORD.
Renew them in our day,
in our time make them known;
in wrath remember mercy.

3 God came from Teman,
the Holy One from Mount Paran.
Selah [b]
His glory covered the heavens
and his praise filled the earth.

4 His splendor was like the sunrise;
rays flashed from his hand,
where his power was hidden...

17 Though the fig tree does not bud
and there are no grapes on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,

18 yet I will rejoice in the LORD,
I will be joyful in God my Savior.

19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.
For the director of music. On my stringed instruments.

In Your name,
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment