Thursday, March 01, 2007

In like a lion


Happy St. David's Day! Dydd Gŵyl Dewi Sant!
I'm not Wesh, Catholic, or Anglican. As Lutheran, I'm not much for veneration of saints, (Lutherans believe that all believers are "saints") but I am into almanacs and calendars and obscure holidays. Plus the Welsh have a really cool looking flag, don't they? It's the one with the dragon.I think it fits well with our pirate theme on this blog. St. David has a cool flag too, it's the black and yellow one. Anyway, I have a friend who got his Masters' degree from Middlesex University in London and I remember he talked about how the daffodils (St. David's symbol) were blooming this time of year, and since my home in Iowa is under a blizzard today, I thought I'd blog about one of the sure signs that Spring and Easter are on their way.

St David of Wales or Dewi Sant, was a saint of the Celtic Church. He was the son of Sandde, Prince of Powys, and Non, daughter of a Chieftain of Menevia whose lands included the peninsula on which the little cathedral town of St David's now stands. Legend has it that non was King Aurthur's neice. St David is thought to have been born near the present town of St David's. The ruins of a small chapel dedicated to his mother, Non, may be seen near St. David's Cathedral.

And for all my friends back in California, David is the patron saint of vegetarians too. Maybe that's why the Prince of Whales recently suggested banning McDonald's from Brittan.

Me ka pule,
Pirate Ted


No comments:

Post a Comment